The ups and downs of being an artist is like a roller coaster. Well, actually, it is usually like an uphill climb for most of us. For me it is anyway, because the one thing that eludes me, is not the time it takes to create something... or not being able to even pay for my supplies... or the mess I leave in the wake of a project. No. It's that most of my pieces are not hanging on someone else's wall.
I love creating with my hands! I love looking at what I've done and then thinking, "I created that?! Wow!" It makes me feel useful, productive and helps me express the feelings I cannot put into words.
When I was a kid I drew all kinds of fantastical pictures. Most of the pictures I drew I think stemmed from feeling so insecure and unhappy. One picture I remember drawing was something I called, "A Babysitting Machine".
It was a wall of carseat-type gadgets that held children securely, and had toys attached to each seat to keep kids occupied and happy. This definitely stemmed from my own life at the time.
Now I look back and think how easy it was to draw from how I felt. It flowed. Whereas now it is much more difficult. Maybe it is due to being an adult, or creating a work of art just comes from a different place now. I don't know. But one thing that has not changed, is - creating a piece of artwork is still SO satisfying!
Me, holding my brother Steven
Me, at about 11 or 12 yrs old
Tigger! Part of a Winnie the Pooh mural I did for a nearby school.
Me, at about 29 yrs old.
A wall hanging I did for a young mom who I knew when she was little!





Comments
Post a Comment